Toppling by Sally Murphy

Do you love to play dominoes? Do you enjoy the clink, clink, clink as dominoes topple in black and white lines? If so, pick up a copy of Toppling by Sally Murphy. Josa donated a copy for our library and wrote the following book review!

John is the main character of this book. He is a boy with an unusual hobby–he likes to set up dominoes and tip th first one and watch them topple in complicated patterns. John’s goal is to win the world record of toppling. then something happens to make John’s world start to topple. His best friend Dominic gets very, very sick. This is a one-of-a-kind story about change, coping and friendship. This is a book for ages 8+ or anyone who wants a good read. It is illustrated very nicely.

You can find Toppling by Sally Murphy in the realistic section of our library!

Here is the call number: F  MUR  Realistic

***********

Have you every played the game dominoes?

What have you built using dominoes?

9 thoughts on “Toppling by Sally Murphy

1. Dear Mrs Hembree,
    The book Toppling sounds like an interesting read I will look for it at the local library and my school library.

My cousin Kayla and I always get a bunch of cards out and make card towers once Kayla built the biggest tower taller than me. But I was jumping and I made it fall down. Kayla has not made a big tower ever since that day.

I used to get out my Baby Blocks and make a tower then make it all fall down I do not build so many block towers I will have to do one day.

My dad and I used to play the game dominoes when I was little we don’t any more.

From,

BB.

• Dear BB,

Do you know where Sally Murphy lives? The answer may surprise you!

I have tried making card towers before, but I don’t have the patience for all that building and quiet! This morning I made a domino train so I could make a video of it toppling down. That was fun!

I am looking forward to your answer to my question!
      From a questioning librarian,
      Mrs. Hembree

• @ Mrs Hembree,

Thank you for taking the time to write me back a comment to me. I know you are very busy getting ready for your big trip.

Sorry for the late reply but have been helping mum as she isn’t too well at this given time. Hopefully she will start to feel a lot better soon.

I will try to answer your question that you asked me. Does Sally Murphy live in Australia Perth.
        I ‘m pretty sure I am right. Oh yeh Pete the cat said to say “hello”

From your pal,
        BB 🙂

• Dear BB,

Yes, you are correct! Sally Murphy is Australian and also wrote Pearl Verses the World. The illustrator Rhian Nest James is also Australian and lives in Sydney.

Please tell you Mom to get better soon!

Great job!
          Mrs. Hembree

2. I am a LMS in training. I am taking my final course in obtaining my master’s degree for library science. I came across your blog and love it! I love the idea you had for previewing new books, telling who it was donated by and including his book review of it, and best of all telling students exactly where it could be found in the library. Do you do that all of the time or just for donated books? I’m curious to know about your donation process. I know our school library used to have a library club. Students could donate a book to the library in honor of their birthday and a special name plate was added to the book. Do you do something similar or are they just general donations?

• Dear Ms. Gullett,

Thank you for visiting our blog! We love it when visitors comment too! That is icing on the cake!

As far as your question, I get donated books in all kinds of ways. Generally the book doesn’t come with a book review however! This time Josa included his review as a special extra.

I show new books to my classes, but I don’t always get them on the blog too. It just comes down to a matter of time.

I tried the birthday book club one year, but it didn’t take off here. I do know a lot of librarians who have great success with it and the idea works for them.

Enjoy your final course in your LMS degree!
      Mrs. Hembree

3. That was neat that the student did include a review. It does make it extra special. I can definitely see how you would not be able to showcase new books on your blog. Out of curiosity, do you inform staff and students of new books in the library? I was thinking about creating a new book display to have set up in the library. I would put pictures of the book covers out with the actual book in front. Kids could check off of the display and leave behind the picture of the cover. That would let everyone else still see what was new even if it had already been checked out. I would also like to post a list of new books on my website or in a newsletter to let people know about new materials. I could spotlight a few with reviews, but obviously not all. Do you do anything like this? Also, you mentioned that you get donated books in all kinds of ways. Do you mind sharing those ways?

• Dear Ms. Gullett,

People donate books to me. Sometimes it’s parents and sometime students. They just bring them in and if I can use them in the library, I add them to the collection. If I already have a copy, I set the book aside and sell it at our Used Book Sale that we have in the spring.

When I get new books, I have a special display where they go first. I show the books to the students at the beginning of classes and I often show a book trailer.

I think everyone has a different way that works for them. You will find your system!

From,
      Mrs. Hembree

4. What are the details of your used book sale? Obviously one was you acquire books for the sale is through duplicate donations, but how else do you get books for this? Do you use the proceeds for library materials? Very interesting idea!