Digital Citizenship and Commenting

This fall we are concentrating our intermediate library lessons on the themes of digital citizenship. In 2007 the International Society of Technology Educators (ISTE) published their National Educational Technology Standards for Students.

These are basic rules for using technology appropriately (Etiquette), communicating effectively (Communication), and protecting student safety (Rights and Responsibilities).

We watched a video published by CommonSenseMedia about the importance of person’s digital footprint. The vital lesson to be learned is that a person’s digital footprint LASTS! It’s important to be thoughtful when writing anything online or posting pictures because they could be permanent.

Some rights reserved by kyteacher

Our next lesson is going to focus on YAPPY and commenting. These are elements of communicating, connecting with others, and student safety.

What is YAPPY you ask?
 This acronym is a trick to remember what to NEVER post online.
  • Y = Your full name
  • A = Address P
  • P = Phone number
  • P = Passwords
  • Y = Your plans

All of these apply to commenting as well. We never use our full name or personal information in comments. In addition, we follow basic rules in our comments. Comments are written in a letter writing format.

1. Start off a comment with Dear __________,
  2. A compliment to the writer or acknowledge the writer in some way.
  3. Share an opinion or add to the conversation.
  4. Be polite and use the Golden Rule of Etiquette!
  5. Check your spelling.
  6. Adding a question at the end often invites more conversation.
  7. Close the letter   From, _______

More details about the steps to writing a comment are listed in greater detail on our Writing Comments page. Often at the end of a post, the writer will include questions that give you commenting ideas. They are a jumping off point to get you started! Use them! That’s what they are there for.

The Techie Kids have written also written an awesome post about how to write comments on their blog. They have also included videos from some of our blogging friends around the world. Click on TechieKids blog to view.

Let’s Get Started!

We are going to use this post as a comment starter. Below you will see a photograph I have taken of a basket of books here in the library. Your job when you comment is to guess how many books are in the basket. 

Make sure you use the letter writing format in your comment. You can also add the conversation in some creative way. Read over what others have written, so you don’t say the same thing as everyone else!  Have fun!

Did I mention the prize? There will be a prize for the student/students who come closest to the correct answer. You might be tempted to just count the books in the basket in the library. However, I added bunches of extra books for the photograph, so counting won’t help! Take a guess and have fun!

How many books are in the basket?

************************

How many books do you think are in the basket?
Why do you think I put the lobstering book in the front?
What book would you put in my basket?
What do you think the prize will be?

68 thoughts on “Digital Citizenship and Commenting

1. Dear Mrs.Hembree,

I think that there is about 23 books in your book basket.
    I think that you put the lobster book in the front because you were hungrey for lobsters.
    I think that we will get a coupon for something, for are prize.

From,
    Mia

2. Dear Mrs. Hembree,
    Thank you for this great post! I am going to tell my Gr. 2 students about YAPPY and I would love to add your list of 7 suggestions to our “How to write a great blog comment”. May I do that if I add a link to your webpage?
    🙂 Mrs. Boekhout

• Dear Mrs. Boekhout,
      Thank you so much for visiting our blog! Yes, of course you may use the term YAPPY! I am NOT the originator of the term. I found the term YAPPY on a comment on Mrs,. Moore’s Techie Kids blog. Mrs. Webb-Sheers ( http://kwebb.edublogs.org/) mentioned the term and I thought it was an easy way to remember what not to share.
      IWhat I love about blogging is that we always want the best for our students and share our ideas to get them there!
      Enjoy your week!
      Mrs. Hembree

3. Dear Students,
    You gave some great guesses on how many books were in the basket. The actual number was 62! The top three prize winners are Andrew (70), Jullz (54) and Abi (45)! Congratulations to all of you! Come see me to talk about what kind of book prize you would like!

The person with the closest international guess is 50! That’s BB in Australia! BB I am going to have to come up with a prize that can make it all the way to Australia!

The reason I had a lobstering book in the front is because I wanted to hide how many books were really in the basket, I went lobstering with my cousin during the summer and I like lobsters!
    Thanks everyone for leaving awesome comments!
    Mrs. Hembree