Blog Action Day- Food

Sunday, October 16th is Blog Action Day! Bloggers around the world blog about the same topic on the same day! The topic this year is FOOD, which coincides with World Food Day! The goal is to have bloggers around the world raise awareness of important topics.

I am proud to take part in Blog Action Day Oct 16, 2011 www.blogactionday.org
Bloggers from over 80 countries are joining this worldwide event, including some of our blogging buddies. You can read about 2KM & 2KJ’s post about FOOD. One of their student’s Jarrod is also participating in the event. Go to Jarrod’s Awesome Blog and read how he is participating!

So, how does a library blog participate in a Blog Action Day on the topic of Food? That’s easy!

We can talk about international cooking!

Our students come from over 25 different countries. On any day, you can hear students or parents conversing in numerous languages from every continent in the world! We have students from Africa, Europe, Asia, South America, North America and Australia/Pacifica.

What do they have in common?

FOOD!

Where do they come for new recipes to cook at home?

The Library!

Look inside lunch boxes around our campus and you will find a huge variety of international style lunches! While one person might be having a peanut butter sandwich, the person sitting next to them might be eating a tortilla or using chopsticks to eat rice. Nobody thinks twice about the international flavor of our lunches here.

It’s also why our cooking section of the library is such a well-loved shelf!

Stop by sometime and check out our cookbooks!

And don’t forget, sometimes cooking is Out of This World!

Josa cooks with R2D2!

*************************

Do you ever cook international food?
What do you think about being part of a worldwide event?
What kind of cookbook should we add to our collection?

9 thoughts on “Blog Action Day- Food

1. Dear Mrs.Hembree
    What I’m making in this picture is wookie-cookies and I have also made “Han”burgers they are named after Han-Solo
    I think it’s neat you have a star wars cook book in the library.
    I have made spring roles with my mom once.What is your international food to make? (or eat)
    Love Josa

• Dear Josa,
      I bet the Han-*burgers are delicious! I love hamburgers and I think they might be similar in taste!
      Tonite we had Italian spaghetti and sauce for dinner. My favorite international food to cook is Swedish cookies. My grandmother came to America from Sweden as a child and I have her mother’s recipes for making different Swedish Cookies. My children love to eat them. The only problem is that they take a long time to make, and very little time to eat!
      Have you ever eaten any food in a different country?
      From your librarian,
      Mrs. Hembree

2. Dear Mrs.Hembree,
    I wonder if you have a cook book from Vietnam? If you do I would love to check it out. I wonder what is with the check on the teams ? Did you now there is a diffident kind of pancake but in Vietnam. Our pancakes are not sweet but we but in shrimp,Meat, and more that I forgotten. I wonder when our school construction is over. It keeps bothering me when there is noise outside. I can wait until new books come out don’t you thing so?
    You buddy Alex.

• Dear Alex,
      Yes, we do have a cookbook or two about Vietnamese cooking. I just didn’t have a photograph of it for the blog. I have eaten some Vietnamese food before and the pancakes filled with meat or shrimp are delicious!
      The new books will gradually come out.. I put them on the New Books display area so everyone can see them. I don’t have a special day, but rather put them out as they are ready for check out. That way people keep coming in to see what’s available!
      I’m sorry that the construction noise bothers you. It’s going to be that way for awhile, but at the end, we are going to have a beautiful new school!
      I hope you stop by the library often and see what’s new!
      From,
      Mrs. Hembree

3. Dear Mrs Hembree,

I really enjoy eating, as for cooking well not so good.

My mum comes from Rome and so she makes the most delicious Italian food. I just love all Italian food as I am pretty sure it is made with heaps of love. 🙂
    Nothing more that gives my mum great joy besides her grandchildren is having us all over eating her home cooked Italian meals. Every meal is a celebration.

Do you have a favourite food which you like to eat everyday Mrs Hembree?
    I know I do and it is chocolate I feel I could eat it every single day.

From your friend down under,
    AA.

• Dear AA,
      I was just replying to BB on how I love to eat Italian food. My family heritage is mostly Scandinavian, but I love to eat Italian food. I haven’t really met a pasta I haven’t like to eat!
      My husband and I have silly arguments on how to pronounce the word, “gnocchi”! My family always called them n-AW-ki and his family always called them n-O-ki. I don’t think it really matters, except that they are delicious!
      I do have a favorite food that I have everyday. I love to drink MILK! I have a glass of milk every morning and with most dinners! I like chocolate too, but I don’t have it as often!

Love your comments!
      Mrs. Hembree

4. Dear Mrs Hembree,

Food is so very important to eveyone. My family comes from Italy so we eat alot of Italian meals. I love Italian food it is wonderful.

I mostly love Italian food becasue it is so delicous.

Mrs Hembree do you have any Italian Recipe book in your library or at home?
    Have you ever cooked Italian food Mrs Hembree?

When I visit my nanna I often cook with her and I just love it.

From your pal,
    BB.

• Hello BB,
      Yummy, yummy Italian food! Yes, I LOVE Italian food! I am not the best cook in the world, but my husband makes really good Italian spaghetti sauce. We just had some for dinner last night. It takes him hours to make his sauce.

My aunt also cooks delicious Italian food. She makes her own pasta and Gnocci! She grows her own tomatoes, and then makes homemade tomato sauce too.

We have a couple of Italian cookbooks in the library. We also have a book called, Cooking the Australian Way! It has a recipe for Pavlova, a meringue with fruit and whipped cream dessert. The book says it’s a popular dessert in Australia. is that true?
      From,
      Mrs. Hembree

5. @ Mrs Hembree,
    Thank you for replying back to me.

Your husband sounds like he does make the best spaghetti sauce just like my nanna becasue I think I want some right now.
    In Australia we do not hear the G as it is a silent G when we pronounce Gnocci.

I, love Gnocci so much it so delicous as a matter of fact my nanna makes her own gnocci. 🙂

I am so glad you have a couple of Italian books in your libary.

Did you know Mrs Hembree that Pavlova does not come from Australia it comes from New Zealend.

Pavlova is a poplaur dessert in Australia my family and I normally have it at Christmas.

From your pal,
    BB.