Our Amazing Transformation

I’ve written about our move to a new space a few times this fall. Our school district is building the Bulldog Readers a new school!  That meant that last spring we had to pack everything up and get moved to a new space.

I thought our readers would like to see what it looked like in the library in August! We had a team of volunteers who spent four hours on a Saturday turning our space from a place filled with hundreds of boxes into a very workable library. 

After the August work day, it took a couple weeks to get the library completely ready with books, technology and decorations. The configuration of the space is different than our old library, but everything is working out just fine! Check out our Photosynth of the newly transformed Bulldog Reader Library!

Photosynth is a free downloadable Microsoft product that allows you to combine a group of photos and stitch them into a 3D panorama that you can embed into a website or share with anyone on the internet.

It began as a research project on Photo Tourism with the University of Washington and Microsoft research. You can visit the Photosynth site by clicking on this Photosynth link. 

Here is another example of a Photosynth that is 100% synthy. That means that every photo could be stitched or “synthed” to another. This copyrighted photosynth of 300,000 King Penguins on South Georgia Island was made by Tony Ernst . He took 250 photos to create this incredible Photosynth of his experience.

If you like this photosynth, you can find more by this photographer and others on the Photosynth website. All you need is a digital camera, a computer and the free downloadable program! Have fun experimenting!

***********

What do you think about our library transformation?
Have you ever used Photosynth?
How could you use Photosynth in your class or school?

8 thoughts on “Our Amazing Transformation

1. Dear Mrs Hembree,

I would have loved to view that photosynth of your new library but it just won’t work on my computer. 🙁

I bet when your new library is finished it will be just awesome.

I feel that using the photosynth would be great to use with posts if only I could get it work for me. 🙂

From your pal,
    AA.

• Dear AA,
      I am so sorry that the photosynth won’t work on your computer. Technology can be so frustrating sometimes. I will check into it on my side and see if I have to do something else to make it work.
      Our temporary library is working out just fine! I couldn’t be happier with the space!
      From,
      Mrs. Hembree

2. Dear Mrs.Hembree
    I miss the old library. I was big and nice also it was nicer. I miss the old library. Mrs.Hembree I wonder in January what team we are going ti battle? If you have the teams ready for the battle of the books don’t spoil it make it as a surprise for us in January. So have you seen the book I told you about? Do you have any new books to the library.
    You Buddy Alex.

• Dear Alex,
      I miss the old library too! I miss the comfortable couch and chairs where kids could sit and read. They are at home in my garage wondering when they will come back to school!
      You won’t find out who you battle in Battle of the Books until January on competition day. Every day is different.
      I have lots of new books, but you will have to wait a couple of days for them to be ready for check out!
      From,
      Mrs. Hembree

3. Dear Mrs. Hembree,

I’m so glad you brought this tool up in your post. I had remembered you mentioning it to me when met but had totally forgotten about it since then! After seeing it in use on your site, I definitely plan on using it to create a full view of our classroom!

The library looks great!

Sincerely,
    Mr. Avery

• Dear Mr. Avery,
      I think the best part of blogging is what we can learn from one another. I learned about Photosynth from @fionabeal and now you can share it with someone else. I think the key to Photosynth is to take lots of photos. I didn’t take enough, so mine didn’t “synth” the way I wanted, but it was a good try!
      Have fun! It would be fun to see your hardworking classroom!

I wish we had room for our couch, but otherwise, I’m happy with our library! Thanks for the kudos!
      From,
      Mrs. Hembree

4. Dear, Mrs.Hembree,
    For my opinion, i think the library we are having now is very small, i miss our old library. When are we going to have a bigger library?

• Dear Thuan,
      I agree with you! Our library is much smaller than our old one! You know what I miss most? Seeing kids sitting and reading on the couch or in the comfy chairs! They are all in my garage because we don’t have room.
      I don’t know when the new school will be ready.
      From,
      Mrs. Hembree