Mr. Davo Devil Visits the Library

On Wednesday, we had a very special guest visit our Bulldog Library! Mr. Davo Devil visited with his friend, Miss Wyatt, from Tasmania, Australia. You can follow Miss Wyatt and her trip with Mr. Davo Devil on their blog.

Mr. Davo's Blog

In Tasmania, the island state south of Victoria, Australia, there are small animals called Tasmanian Devils, and Mr. Davo is a stuffed toy version of them! Miss Wyatt and Davo talked with Mrs. Flowers’ kindergarten class.

Miss Wyatt and Mr. Davo Devil visit the Bulldog Library

One of the kindergarten students was quite concerned that we were using the word, devil.

“Mrs. Hembree, Devil is a bad word!”

Luckily Mrs. Hembree had a book all about Tasmanian Devil animals, so the children understood that this version of devil, wasn’t the bad kind.

After we met with the kindergarten students, we took a quick tour around part of our school. Then we were back to the library to talk with Mrs. Adair’s 2/3 class.

Miss Wyatt and Mr. Davo answer questions about their trip.

We started off our discussion by looking at the world map to see exactly where Tasmania is located. To get to America, Miss Wyatt and Mr. Davo first flew to Melbourne, Australia. Then they got on a plane and flew for 14 hours to get to Los Angeles! Once they arrived in California, Miss Wyatt rented a car and started driving north. We are the second school they have visited on their trip.

The two red dots show to location of Seattle and Tasmania.
Miss Wyatt also brought us presents! She brought us a book about Tasmanian Devils, some Australian stamps, a game that will help us learn about Australia and some Vegemite.

Our presents from Miss Wyatt and Mr. Davo

None of our students had ever heard of Vegemite before!  Miss Wyatt explained that Australians spread a thin layer of Vegemite on toast, bread or crackers. They have it as a snack in or in a sandwich, similar to the way we eat peanut butter.

Miss Wyatt shows everyone the tube of Vegemite she brought to us.

We didn’t have time to taste it, but will try it out the next time Mrs. Adair’s class comes to the library. If you want to see how Mrs. Yollis’s class tried Vegemite recently, you can visit her Vegemite post here. Miss Wyatt will be visiting Mrs. Yollis’s 3rd grade class in Los Angeles at the end of her trip.

Then we learned some Australian words. Some students asked Miss Wyatt why she named her Tasmanian Devil, “Davo”.
We learned in Australia, people often add an “o” to the end of names or words.

Davo

Willo

Billo

Then we realized that here in America, we often add “Y” to the end of names or words.

Davy

Willy

Billy

It was fun to learn some other words that are different in Australia than here.

The trunk of a car is called a boot.
Gas is called petrol.
An elevator is called a lift.
A vacation is a holiday.
However, a holiday is still a holiday! We both use the word the same way.
The forest is called the bush.

My favorite different phrase was “Back o’ Bourke.” This means a far away or really remote.
It is has a similar meaning to our American phrase out in the bookdocks or out in the boonies.
Bourke is remote town in New South Wales. After seeing a photo of the area, I can see how the term got its name.

In the outback near Bourke, Australia. Used with

Soon Miss Wyatt and Mr. Davo’s visit with the students came to an end. They went off to PE and Mrs. Hembree had a chance to learn something new from Miss Wyatt.  Miss Wyatt teaches technology in Tasmania and runs the Edublogs Student Challenges.

I took advantage of Miss Wyatt’s knowledge and asked her to teach me about RSS Feeds! Now I will be able to stay current with my favorite blogs via the RSS feeds I have set up on GoogleReader. I can go to one place to read new posts, instead of visiting different blogs.
 Thank you Miss Wyatt! You  ROCK!
Miss Wyatt will be on her North America tour for 11 weeks, visiting other places and classrooms in Canada and America.
If you want to follow her and Mr. Davo Devil, be sure to visit their blog! They would love to hear from you!
****************************
What did you learn from Miss Wyatt and Mr. Davo?
What questions do you still have?
Leave us a comment and let us know!

8 thoughts on “Mr. Davo Devil Visits the Library

1. Dear Mrs Hembree and your Bulldog readers,

How wonderful that you got to meet up with Miss Wyatt and Mr Davo. I also loved the gifts which she bought along for you.

Just last weekend BB and I and her dad went to a reptile park where we saw some Tasmian Devils. As BB wrote in her recent post the Tasmania Devils are fighting a awful disease and if they can’t find a cure for it these animals could become extinct which would be so sad.

Yes Australia is made of many elements and I am so glad that Miss Wyatts was able to share this with you all.

Please say hello to Alex from me Mrs Hembree he has written on BB’s blog which is great!

From your friend down under,
    AA. 🙂

2. Dear Mrs Hembree,
    Tassierific post.

On Sunday I went to a Wildlife Park and guess what I saw I saw two Tasmanian Devils. But these poor Tasmanian Devils have a horrible disease which is call devil facial tumor that grows on their faces.

You all were very lucky to see Mr Davo.

I have also got a book about Tasmanian Devils.

In Australia we sometimes call Tasmanian Devil Tassie Devils for short.

From your pal,
    Bianca.

3. Aloha Mrs. Hembree,
    Thank you for the wonderful post about your visitors. I am always excited to learn our wonderful world.
    A hui hou,
    Mrs. Jacobs

4. Dear Mrs.Hembree , Are you pouting my blog on you super student blog? I have nobody comment on my blog but You AA and BB. I hope you answer my question. If you said yes tell everyone about my blog OK. Bye. You buddy Alex.

• Hi Alex,
      I am sorry that nobody is commenting on your blog. I know that can be disappointing. We might need to talk about your blog and what you need to do.
      This coming week is Bookfair, but come the week after during your recess and we will talk.
      From,
      Mrs. Hembree

5. Pingback: Kids in the Mid » Blog Archive » Post from Davo Devil