Pigeons, Piggies and Knufflebunnies?

If you don’t know how pigeons, piggies and knufflebunnies go together, you probably haven’t read any of Mo Willems books!

Mo Willems has written over 30 picture books for children. He began his career as a writer/animator for Sesame Street where he won 6 Emmy Awards. In 2003 he published Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, won the Caldecott Award for illustrations and life hasn’t been the same since in the library!

Kids of all ages love his books. Whether they read the books years ago, or last week, Willems’ books make kids laugh. He makes reading fun.  The kindergarten classes have been finding out about Mo Willems this past month and have become Mo Experts!  We have read most of his books and they know when they see the gold or silver Caldecott sticker that his books are award winners.

The first graders love his books for lots of reasons, but especially because they can read them, all by themselves! His books are always being checked out. The Elephant and Piggie series are really great to act out as you can see in our short video.

You can find out more information about Mo Willems on his really fun, full-of-games and info website:

http://www.mowillems.com/

Have you read any Mo Willems books?

Which one is your favorite?

He’s had hot dogs and tried to drive a bus.

What should pigeon do next?

Leave us a comment!

6 thoughts on “Pigeons, Piggies and Knufflebunnies?

1. Dear 1st Graders,
    We really loved it when you did Pig Make Me Sneeze video. The sneezing was really good and funny!
    We love Mo Willems books. His website is awesome! We found the piggie and elephant dance. It was hilarious to dance with piggie and Gerald.
    We think pigeon should drive a limo, fly a helicopter, jump with a parachute, rob a bank (not!), AND play basketball. Those things would be funny for pigeon to do.
    From,
    Mrs. Daly’s class

2. Dear B, K, and S,

What a wonderful job you did reading Pigs Don’t Make Me Sneeze! Mr. Daly and I watched it 3 times in a row. I’m so proud of you for taking the time to practice your book and for bringing it to life in your video. Bravo!!

Your teacher,
    Mrs. Daly

Kudos to Mrs. Hembree too. 🙂

3. Dear First Graders,
    We think you did a great job reading Pigs Make Me Sneeze! It was really funny! Your acting of the elephant, pig and cat characters was realistic and it made us laugh!
    Have you read Pigeon Wants a Puppy? Most of us have read that one and it is really funny too.
    Mo Willems is one of our favorite authors. We think he has a new book out now called Pigeon Likes Things That Go.
    From,
    Ms. Valenta’s class.

4. Dear Mrs. Daly’s First Grade Readers (and Mrs. Hembree),

We loved the book you read. We laughed SO hard! We loved your great reading expression. Our favorite parts were when Gerald thought he was allergic to Piggie and when you did all the sneezing. We hope that you will post more videos in the future. We are your piggest fans!

Your Friends,
    Mr. Daly’s Second Graders

5. Dear Mrs. Hembree and Mrs. Daly’s First Graders,
    That was a wonderful video of you guys reading aloud a Gerald and Piggy book. I think some of my students would love to make a video like you did. You used wonderful expression in your voices. We love Mo Willems, too. He was in Montreal last weekend but sadly I was out of town and didn’t get to see him. My first grade class loves him, too. Thanks so much for leaving us a comment on our blog today. I replied back to you on our blog. I think we could become great friends.
    from,
    Mrs. Lynch in Quebec