Rice Rice Game for the Holidays

The holidays are upon us and it’s often a time when we think about how we can help others. 250x250_new_freerice Playing the educational, multi-choice game Freerice is one way students can help fight world hunger. For every question you get correct, 10 grains of rice are donated. The game originally began as a vocabulary game, but now has expanded to math, science, languages, geography and the identification of famous artwork.

When the game went live on  October 7, 2007  830 grains of rice were donated that first day. Since then the United Nations World Food Program has donated over 83,853,300,490 grains of rice! That’s amazing!

According to the Freerice website, the UN World Food Programme works around the globe and Freerice donations are made with no restrictions. This freedom of use allows them to apply the donations to countries that need it most, often those that don’t make the headlines in the news, yet where chronic hunger continues unchecked.

Often World Food Programme is able to purchase the rice in the very countries where the beneficiaries are located, cutting down on the transport time to reach the hungry and helping to stimulate local economies at the same time.

So, this holiday season, I hope you will donate some of your time to playing Freerice for a few minutes to help fight world hunger. Go to www.freerice.com

3 thoughts on “Rice Rice Game for the Holidays

1. Hello Mrs. Hembree and all of your book-loving students!
    We love to play FreeRice in our library, too. The students especially like that it now offers different subjects. Thank you for your note about reading my blog. I think it’s great when a library puts student work online for all to read and share. Maybe in the future, we can find a way for our student to comment with each other.

Best,
    Mrs. Laura D’Elia

• Dear Mrs. D’Elia,
      We just purchased a Flip video camera for our school, and I am hoping soon we will be able to post some more of our library lessons on video. I love the idea connecting with your students!
      Keep reading!
      Mrs. Hembree