Did You Know???

Two blogging teachers in Canada posted this Did You Know video on their blogs recently. The staff at our school also watched this same video before school started. I think it offers some amazing statistics and questions to think about. Please watch the video and then comment below.

The following questions are reproduced with thanks to Mr. Ferneyhough at Chili Sauce (http://aferneyh.edublogs.org/) There is a great deal of information in this video. Please comment on the following….

What surprised you, or didn’t surprise you about this information?
What was interesting about this information.
What does it say about our world and about our future?
Is this a positive, negative or neutral perspective of our world?
What are your feelings about technology? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?
Do you think the earth can continue to hold the ever increasing number of people?
What are our options?
What jobs do you picture having in your future?

Mrs. Hembree’s question–What do you think will happen to libraries and books in the future?

Bulldog Readers and others- think about the following as you form your comment. You can comment directly on the blog or write your response on paper and submit to me.

• Did you respond in detail to the video using specific examples?
    Did you relate this information to yourself and your future?
    Did you use proper grammar (paragraphs, capitals, no net-speak)?
    Did you provide opinions worthy of other people responding to?
    Take your time. Be thoughtful.

12 thoughts on “Did You Know???

1. J- Says
    I think technology will get out of control and when technology gets smarter than the human mind, doing everything will be much harder and more complicated. Then everything will be made out of electronics and technology. What happens with there’s a brown out and everything connects to a building? If we got too intense, technology may take over. Nothing will be the same. People will start reading books on the internet or Mozilla Fire much more often. People will start to type their words instead of going up to theri friends themselves and really talking to them. People may even have red eyes from looking at a bright screen all the time at home. Maybe people will stop going outside to buy things and shop for clothes and food online. People might go online to go to school or even work. Only delivery people who give people mail, letters and packages would be on the street. We need to watch out for our Earth. We only have one. We can’t destroy it.

2. B says-
    Something that surprised me is that India has about 395 babies everyday. that’s almost triple the American baby count. I was amazed that there are more texts everyday than people on the planet. That’s insane to think that in 2000, people didn’t even text half that amount. I think in the future everyone is going to have a Kindle or iPad.

3. P says-
    I think that books will turn into touch screens. Libraries wouldn’t exist and you will have to download stories from the computer. I think technology is a good thing because we can do things easier.

4. E says-
    It was interesting how it showed kids that are going to prepare for a job that doesn’t even exist yet. Our world is going to change and so is the future. I think that this is positive that it’s going to happen. I think that technology is a good thing because it gives you information and gives all these experiences.

5. R says-
    I think it’s really amazing that so many babies are born every day. So I don’t think that the earth can hold all of these people. I also think the video gives off a negative perspective by giving facts of all the technology using all that electricity and all the people born each hour and all the internet users that are online.

6. C says-
    Some interesting information is that in the presentation 67 babies were born in the US and 395 babies in India. Now I understand why India has more honor students that America has kids.

7. L says-
    One thing that is interesting about this video is that 375 babies were born in India (during the length of the video). Now I understand why the video said the Earth can’t hold this many people. Well, the world is pretty strong, so I think it can, but at the same time I think it can’t. For a lot of people in the world there arent’ home or food. Our world is dying and not a lot of people care what’s happening to it. That’s what I found interesting.

8. J says-
    I think our generation’s future will rely on technology because by 2013 computers will be as smart as a single human being and by 2049, as smart as the entire human species. I believe somehow all jobs will use technology in someway. Technology is a good thing because it is so helpful. By 2049 there will be nothing it can’t do. It will know everything one could only dream about (today). I think becasue of this, people will stop reading books and just go on the computer to find everything they need to know.

9. A says-
    Wow, I can’t believe how much technology we use now. In a couple years from now, probably we won’t even have to go to school with so much technology. Technology increases every 2 years. In the late 1900’s there were only 1,000 kinds of technology. In 2008 the technology increased to 100,000,000! That’s crasy! I just imagine that in a few years our world will be nothing by technolgy. The video just blew me away!

10. J says responding to- Do you think the earth can continue to hold the ever increasing number of people?
    Yes, becasue lots of people die everyday in wars and from old age. So if lots of people die and lots of people are born, the Earth can probably hold the increasing amount of people.