Wonder by RJ Palacio

I first read Wonder in 2012 and lost track of how many times I’ve recommended it. This book about ten-year old Auggie who was born with Treacher-Collins Syndrome which affects a person’s facial features.

“My name is August, but the way. I won’t describe what I look like. Whatever you’re thinking, it’s probably worse.” page 3

Now this #1 New York Times bestseller is being released as a major motion picture on November 17th, starring Julia Roberts, Owen Wilson, Jacob Tremblay, Daveed Diggs, and Mandy Patinkin.

We have a copy of the new version of Wonder which includes full-color movie photos, exclusive content and a foreword by Stephen Chbosky, co-screenwriter/director of Wonder.

I have adored Auggie, his friends and this amazing book for years. As Stephen Chbosky writes in the foreword, “RJ Palacio has given our world- and our troubled times-a ray of light. A silver lining big enough for any gray cloud. A standing ovation for empathy itself. She has taught us that no side “owns” kindness. We can only practice it.”

I am looking forward to this movie. The previews look fantastic! I just hope I bring enough tissues…

5 thoughts on “Wonder by RJ Palacio

1. We are SO excited to see this movie Mrs H!
    Over summer we went to a Natalie Merchant concert at Chateau St Michelle. R J Palacio was inspired to write this story after seeing a child with a facial disfiguration and heard Natalie Merchant’s song ‘Wonder’ on her car radio.
    It’s a great song and a great and compassionate story.

2. Dear Mrs Hembree,
    can you believe it I just saw the trailer here down under and I just about fell of the cough Like Judy we and very excited. I truly thought of you. As this is one of many books that you sent to Bianca way back in primary school. Both Bianca and I plan to go to the movies and watch it my only concern is that it may be different from the novel. I hope not. Thank you Mrs Hembree for giving Bianca and I the joy of reading all those years ago.

For ever friends down under,
    AA

• Hello AA,
      I highly recommend that you both go see the movie. As I mentioned in a comment to BB, I thought the director did a tremendous job with the movie. I’m so glad BB remembers the book and the effect it had on her so many years ago.
      All my best as you go into the warm summer months and the holiday season!
      From,
      Julie

3. Dear Mrs Hembree,
    The trailer to Wonder looks amazing, mum and I will have to go see the movie ASAP. As I have read the book Wonder many times, I never get bored of it as it such an amazing book that does give you an insight of what it is like to start school with a facial disease. I guess I could never relate to Auggie but I could relate to most of his friends and family who were trying to help him make the best of a difficult situation. I am a book person as I prefer to read books based on movies as I am not the type to watch movies before books. But overall I think Wonder will be an outstanding movie with a beautiful message.

From,
    BB.

• Dear BB,
      I almost fell off my chair reading your comment! What a wonderful surprise to hear from you! I don’t even know what grade you must be in by now. High school I imagine, or the Australian equivalent.
      I hope you see the movie soon! I went with my husband and we both loved it. He hadn’t read the book, so he didn’t have any background. However, I usually hate the movie after reading the book. NOT THIS ONE! They did a terrific job of matching the book and movie. I loved the actors and how sensitive they were to keeping the true essence of the book intact.
      Plus, I loved seeing the author RJ Palacio in graduation scene at the end of the movie. She was seated behind Auggie’s “Dad” Owen Wilson.
      Anyway, please let me know what you think.
      Your WA friend,
      Mrs. Hembree