Forty-five Readers and a Pink Dumpster

45 Participants

9 Countries

4 Continents

1 wedding

and

1 Pink Dumpster

10685173_10204808467670141_2079278487_n[1]

Talk about a summer of reading! It’s amazing how our summer reading program traveled around the world proving that you can read and have lots of fun during vacation. You can even participate when you don’t attend our school! We had photo submissions from both the northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere. Here is Mrs. Adair on a beach in Muscat, Oman where she now teaches. Oman is in the Middle East near Saudi Arabia. She wrote that it is very hot there now. Hot like a sizzling 107 F hot!

BB reading

Our friend BB, who lives in Australia sent a photo with Hack, reading on their trampoline. BB and her mom AA have been a blog visitor for years! She used to have a blog of her own, but got too busy to keep it going. Now she stays up with blogging by commenting on friend’s blogs.

max
max2
zoe
zoe1
zoe and max

Zoe and Max went on vacation this summer to Bellingham and the Chuckanut Drive area. They sent in these photos from the beach up north and practicing some yoga poses.

penny reads
mina dumpster

Our latest summer photos came from Mina and Penny who went on a family trip to the east coast. Penny shared a favorite book and her sister posed in front of a pink dumpster. Yes, apparently there are different companies who pick up garbage in the area they visited. Each company paints their dumpster a different color. A pink one sure does draw a lot of attention! Did you notice what Mina is reading?

20140822-211401-2a9ux4r[1] photo 3 photo 2

Thank you to everyone who participated this summer, including my family. I was thrilled to see my husband read two books on our vacation to Alaska. My daughter loves reading on her Kindle, and my nephew is always close to a great book.

SAM_1606

10441116_403812616423929_1915520873867665058_n

10353398_524375167667930_8286664695791981510_o

It was fabulous seeing our friends in Ghana, Lesotho and South Africa reading as well. We are all a connected village of readers and look forward to more collaborative activities in the coming year.

I hope you will stop by the library (if you attend our school) and see the new Summer Reading 2014 posters! Thank you so much for remembering our blog on your vacation and sending in your photos. It’s been a fun couple of months! Stop by the blog again soon for upcoming posts about International Literacy Day and Dot Day.

Happy Reading!

Mrs. Hembree

2 thoughts on “Forty-five Readers and a Pink Dumpster

1. Dear Mrs Hembree,
    I really enjoyed reading & looking at all the pictures of everyone reading especially those children in South Africa.

I had a good laugh at the pink trash as I have never seen one before, as the trash cans here in Australia are all the same colour as they are very dull colours.

Saudi Arabia sounds very nice as I love hot weather. Mrs Hembree I have a challenge for you, what is 107 F in degrees ?.

From your pal,
    BB. x 😀