Awards, BookFair and Battle

untitled (6) untitled (5)

Are you surprised? Happy? Excited?

The Newbery and Caldecott awards were announced this morning at the American Library Association mid-winter conference in Philadephia, Pennsylvania. We have two copies of Flora and Ulysses already, but I will need to purchase a copy of Locomotive to add to our library collection.  The complete  list of awards including the honor books and other awards, can be found on this link.

Flora and Ulysses is also available at our Scholastic Bookfair running all week in the library.

bookfair4

We are open for sales after school daily, and during the middle recess on Wednesday. We hope families will stop by before or after their teacher conference and see what we have to offer. Students will have a chance to preview the books during their library classes this week. The book Minecraft is not on display, due to printing issues, but is available for purchase by request. Students interested in the book can purchase it and as soon as it’s shipped to me, I will deliver it personally to the student’s classroom.
bookfair7

New this year is our Buy a Book, Pick a Prize program. I got this idea from another librarian, who posted it on Pinterest and I decided to adopt it. I don’t know who originally had this idea, but it’s working well for us. While supplies last, for every book purchase, students will be able to pick a FREE prize from the prize box. It’s a BOOK + PRIZE win for everyone!

bookfair3
Our teachers love the bookfair too because it’s a great opportunity to add to their classroom libraries. Most teachers have set aside a few books that they wish they could add to their rooms. You have to power to make a wish come true !

bookfair3

All of our earnings from the Scholastic Book Fair go to our library to purchase new books for our school. I hope you will stop by and see what we have to offer. We accept cash, checks, debit and credit cards for payment.

Next week our Battle of the Books “BATTLES” begin during the intermediate middle recesses. Teams should be ready by Monday to battle it out and answer the questions to find our building champion. Battles will take place Monday- Friday at 12:40 in the library.

Happy Reading!

Mrs. Hembree

6 thoughts on “Awards, BookFair and Battle

1. Dear Mrs.Hembree

I am surprised that Flora And Ulissies won it was an amazing book but I thought The Paperboy book was going to win because having a main character with a stutter was pretty interesting maybe next year we can have it as a Battle Of The Books book.I really enjoyed the Book fair all the selections were very good I personally enjoyed the Cheat Code books because I’m a big gamer and it’s very useful. I could here everybody was disappointed about The MineCraft book but at least you can order it. There was also a good graphic novel selection for ages 8-10 I found there was lots of books for each age group and grades.I also think that you had a good turnout on the BTA Northwest Aerials.

Your student and friend,

Josa.B.C

P.S. How do you find the time to blog. your having a busy week!!!!!

• Dear Josa,
      You present some good questions! As far as time is concerned – I rarely watch television. I might be in the living room, but it’s almost always with my laptop. I listen to a lot of television shows.

The Minecraft book issue is a bit of a problem, but I’m glad the publisher knew it’s better to have a good printing run,than anything else. Otherwise, the students would be really disappointed. One of these days, I’m going to watch someone play Minecraft and even try it myself. I’ve heard so much about it, and want to see it in action.

I am thrilled for Kate DiCamillo winning again, although it was not my first choice. Like you, I was more touched by Paperboy by Vince Vawter. It’s kind of interesting, but often I like the Newbery Honor books more than the medal winners. That is except for last year – The One and Only Ivan will forever be one of my favorite books.

The great part about the bookfair is watching families talk about books in the library. Those conversations make it all worth it!
      Tired and happy,
      Mrs. Hembree

2. Hi Mrs. Hembree,
    I got some books at the book fair that I really wanted. One of them is called “How to speak dog” and I learned amazing things about dogs in the book. Thanks!
    From,
    Kaito

• Hi Kaito,
      Well…what did you learn? I understand “dog” pretty well. My dog is very clear about when he wants a walk, or needs a belly-rub! What kind of details does the book include?

Curious,
      Mrs. Hembree

3. Dear Mrs Hembree,

Wow what a great book fair you have set up. I love the idea where your have sections for different types of books.
    Also I really love the idea that you and a family member can buy books which are on display.
    I get the feeling it is a fun day of reading, sharing and buying.
    Happy reading Mrs Hembree to you and your students.

Sincerely,
    AA 🙂

• Dear AA,
      We had a great turn out for sure! It was great to see all the families looking at books together. Now they have some cool options to read at home.
      Are you reading anything you love?
      Your WA friend,
      Mrs. Hembree