Children’s Book Week May 13-19

It’s almost  Children’s Book Week! I hope you will join me in celebrating the joys of reading next week and in the weeks beyond!

You may be like us and have to hold off the crazy celebrating for another time because it’s state testing. However, there’s lots we can do to quietly spread the word. Here are a few ideas…

Download Grace Lin’s official bookmark and learn how to draw a Chinese dragon using letters.

Vote for your choice of children’s books in the Children’s Choice Book Awards.

Maybe you love to write! Why not try out these story starters?Are you a fan of Jack and Annie? Check out the story starter by Mary Pope Osborne. Where would you take Jack and Annie on a cold, shivery morning?

These ideas plus lots of reading puzzles are waiting for you on the official Children’s Book Week website. Check them out today and start celebrating ahead of time!

8 thoughts on “Children’s Book Week May 13-19

1. Dear Mrs Hembree,

Happy book week. You will happy to know that I attempted to draw the dragon but somehow my dragon didn’t look so good.

What a great selection of books that are up for choice awards I feel that they are all winners.

Do you have a favourite Mrs Hembree?

Just this week my niece wrote a short story and entered it in a short story comp. On Tuesday she received a letter informing her that her story was picked and they would love to publish it along with other winners. She was so thrilled! I’m pretty sure the short story book will be out in October. Will have get a few copies I feel. 🙂

Take Care and happy reading Mrs Hembree.

From your pal,

AA:)

• Hello AA,
      Your niece must be so excited about the letter she received! that’s the best news to hear as a writer I would imagine! Someone wants to publish your work!

Yes, there is a great selection of books.I am a huge fan of Pete the Cat! How is Pete? Has he worked out the difficulties with that Aussie doggie yet? 🙂

Please tell BB hello for me!
      From,
      Mrs. Hembree

2. Dear Mrs Hembree,
    Awesome post. I just loved reading this post it was awesome.I attempted to draw the dragon but it did not look like a real dragon though. I am very tired today because nearly everyone in Australia has to do a test called NAPLAN it is based on your math(s) skills,reading skills and writing skills. There is about 50 to 30 questions in each text book. We get a certain time to finish the test. All the Grade 5’s have to be really quiet.

I hope you had fun.

From,

BB.

:mrgreen:

😛

😆

🙂

😀

• Dear BB,
      I hope you have recovered from the testing! Our students have been doing a lot here too! It’s tiring for everyone.

Have you read any new books lately? I have a box I have started to fill up with books to take home an read over the summer. Yes, we are almost to summer here!

Have a great weekend!
      From,
      Mrs. Hembree

3. @ Mrs Hembree,
    Thank you for replying back to me. I sure have recovered from my testing it was very stressful. Last week I finished a book in 2 days it is called Dork Diaries Popstar it was awesome. The main character Nikki goes on Youtube singing a song and she gets so embarrassed. You are very lucky it is almost Summer it is freezing cold here.

From,

BB.

• Dear BB,
      This comment makes me laugh because the Dork Diaries are some of the most popular books in our library! I’ve never read one yet, because they are always checked out. Now I have them all on a shelf ready to be packed.
      I want to bring one home and read this summer. Which one do you suggest? Do I have to read them in order?

Waiting for Dork Diary Advice,
      Mrs. Hembree

• Hi Sara,

I will get you the letter when I am back at school this coming week. However, I get the large sized backpacks from Lakeshore Learning. Inside the backpack I insert a simple journal,that I buy at district teacher supply company. It has lines and then room at the top of each page for coloring a picture.
      Then I add a book and a matching puppet or plush animal.I keep the reading level to 1st-2nd grade because these are the students who enjoy them the most.
      In the front pocket, I have a laminated card with a photo of the cover of the book, the title, etc.

I’ll be in touch again! Backpack Buddies are worth every penny because they are such a fun way to practice reading and writing!
      From,
      Mrs. Hembree