Choose 2 Matter Theme

Welcome to the 2012-2013 school year!

I am so excited to begin our new year of reading and learning!

The theme for our year in the library is

You all matter in our world.

How will you choose to matter this year?

What awesome choices will you make?

Will you try to reach a reading goal?

Will you do your best to learn?

Will you collaborate with students in your class?

Will you solve an important problem?

Will you create something you care about?

Will you believe you are creative?

Will you imagine how you can make the world a better place?

Will you share your ideas with others?

I hope you will see this school year as a year that you can make your mark on the world. We will research thoughtfully,  read awesome books, create more video projects and collaborate with our blogging buddies.

We will also participate in International Dot Day!

It’s going to be a fantastic year!

The idea for our Choose 2 Matter theme comes from Angela Maiers- http://www.angelamaiers.com/

**********

What activities could we do in the library to make a difference in the world?

How can we help others?

Can you think of great books that have this theme?

9 thoughts on “Choose 2 Matter Theme

1. Dear Mrs. Hembree,

I ♥ this post! You and Angela Maiers are so inspirational! Thanks for showing what the 21st century library can be!

We have just started our school year and are learning about navigating blogs and leaving quality comments. I will be sharing this motivational post with my students. They are going to love it!

I have a 2/3 combination class this year, so have been trying to stay current with commenting on blogs. Wish me luck! 🙂

Let’s get out groups together real soon! Maybe a Mystery Skype Call or …? You know me, I’m up for anything!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Your pal,
    Mrs. Y♥llis

• Dear Mrs. Yollis,

Thank you for your positive comment! It was an incredible treat to meet Angela Maiers at Partners in Learning this summer and watch her TED Talks.

We just finished our first three days of school. I hope you will visit our blog with your students. I have my 1st-5th graders for an hour each time they come, so we will gradually have time to do blog commenting too!

I’d love to Skype soon as well. Let’s get it on the calendar soon!

Your librarian friend,
      Mrs. Hembree

2. Aloha Mrs. Hembree,
    Your board is such a wonderful reminder that there are many ways in which we “Choose2Matter.” It should bring about great discussion and continually provide ideas.
    I will be using your page with my younger social studies class and my digital tools class. The students in digital tools just began blogging for the first time this past week and we need to start finding some good blogs to follow and learning to make good quality comments.
    Have a happy International Dot Day!
    Mrs. Jacobs

3. Dear Mrs Hembree,

Three cheers to you and Angela. I truly love this post it sends out such a powerful message near and far. You always amaze me with your wonderful posts which inspires me wanting to do more.
    With this “Choose2Matter board I am sure it has opened the eyes of many thinking it is possible and they can achieve.

I do have two books which come to mind when it comes to this post. The first been “Ivan the One and Only”. This novel has all those elements of your word board on your post and the other is To Kill a Mocking Bird.

Which books do you feel have all or some of those themes Mrs Hembree?

And happy International Dot Day to you all.

Cheers,
    AA 🙂

4. Mrs. Hembree,
    I love all the different ideas coming out of inspiration from Angela Maiers & Peter Reynolds (Fablevision) this year (I, too, was able to meet Angela, but at the Building Learning Communities conference in Boston). I love the questions you pose to your students, and I think it’s great that they are asked the same questions in the library as they are asked in their classes. Keep up the positive outlook, and your optimism will spread far and wide!
    Have a great 2012-2013 school year!
    -Mrs. Kirr (from IL – @JoyKirr)

• Dear Mrs. Kirr,

I can only imagine how wonderful the BLC conference was! Boston is such a great city to visit and amazing ideas come out of that conference.

Our students are having fun making their dots and thinking about what word means something to them. The more we make connections, the more sense everything makes!

I hope you have a great year!
      Sincerely,
      Mrs. Hembree

5. Pingback: Facebook + Dropbox = AWESOME! | Angela Maiers, Speaker, Educator, Writer

6. Pingback: Choose2Matter: A Call to Action | Iowa TransformEd