ALA Winners for 2012

On Monday, January 23rd, the American Library Association announced the winners of the Newbery, Caldecott and other book awards.

In the children’s book world, this is like the Academy Awards of books. Librarians get pretty excited about the announcement and try for weeks ahead of time to predict the winners.

Nobody ever knows what books are on the “short-list” because that’s never revealed. A short list is when a list of books is shortened to the books in actual consideration for an award. There are hundreds of books published each year, and all of them can’t be on the final list!

Here are the winners for 2012!

John Newbery Medal – for the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children

Newbery Honor Winners

Randolph Caldecott Medal– to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.

Caldecott Honor Winners-

As always, sometimes we already have the books that just won, and sometimes we don’t. The books we don’t already have are currently on order and will be in the library in the upcoming weeks. Check back often to see what has come in!

I was also thrilled to see that Samantha Vamo’s book, The Cazuela that the Farm Maiden Stirred won the Pura Belpre Honor award for illustrations by Rafael López. You might remember that she came to visit our school for Read Across America Week, sponsored by Parkplace Book and read this book to us. You can read that post here.

The sad part of any award list are the books that didn’t win. I have my own favorite middle grade reading list which include, Okay for Now, Bigger Than a Breadbox, Wonderstruck, Breadcrumbs, Small as an Elephant, A Monster Calls (YA novel) and the Trouble with May Amelia.

Now, what book you would have included in your favorite list either for Newbery or Caldecott?

6 thoughts on “ALA Winners for 2012

1. Dear Mrs.Hembery,
    I am just starting to read cupcake Diaries. I think it will be fantastic books!! I bet you will reach your goal!! I can’t believe how many people have looked at your blog!! I was just trying to add all of the people from all over the world. I can’t even add them all!!
    From,
    Parker

• Dear Parker,
      I just bought those Cupcake Diaries! They looked like they would be fun to read.
      I am working hard on my reading goal. I can’t remember ever setting a goal in reading before. I wonder howmany books I will read this year. Will it be more or less than my goal. What do you think?
      From,
      Mrs. Hembree

2. Dear Mrs Hembree,

Wow what a wonderful selection of ALA winners for 2012.

They all appear to be wonderful reads. It would be so wonderful to write a novel and then win an award.

There are so many books which deserve to win.

Mrs Hembree thank you for the beautiful birthday post which I now know it was you which organized it all. 🙂 It was the best birthday ever! You truly know how to make a birthday so special as a matter of fact I am still smiling now.

Your school is so lucky to have you as their librarian, teacher and as a friend.

From a friend who is so grateful and lives down under,
    AA.

• Dear AA,
      I am so please you enjoyed your special birthday. I don’t know who said I organized it because it was a team/friend effort! 🙂
      I agree there are always lots of books that deserve to win but don’t. The good news is that awards don’t stop us from reading everything!
      Welcome to the birthday club!
      Your friend,
      Mrs. Hembree

3. @ Mrs Hembree,

How right you are it was a team effort and what a wonderful team to have on your side.

I still am on a high! and thank you for welcoming me to the birthday club.
    I am so amazed even today how friends are still giving me gifts and ringing me up to wish me a Happy Birthday.
    I think I will stay 50 for the next five years.

What do you think Mrs Hembree?

From AA.

4. Dear Mrs. Hembree: Thank you so much for your kind words and support!

It was wonderful to visit AG Bell Elementary last year.

I was (and am!) beyond thrilled that Rafael López was a 2012 Pura Belpré honoree. Here is a link to the video he created (per request of ALA) about his reaction. I hope you enjoy it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V-GKC9cF9U

By the way, I really enjoy your blog. It’s fantastic and I have now added a few books to my reading list! Thank you.

All best,

Samantha Vamos