Dino Destroys Library!

We are getting a new school!

Our current school is undergoing major demolition during the early construction phase.

On the last day of school in June, we had a ground breaking ceremony.

The superintendent of our school district, Dr. Kimball, came and with help from some students, Mrs. Hovis, and Mr. Anderson the first hole was dug.

Last spring, I had to pack up the library because we were moving into a new space on campus.

We liked our library! It was big and spacious with lots of space and shelves for our books.

We even had room for a comfy couch for reading!

However, the location of the library and the gym was in the way of building the new school, so we had to move. During the summer while all the students and staff were gone, the school became a construction zone. Fences were put up, new driveways were paved and our school was reconfigured. A few days ago, the outside hallway to the library still looked relatively normal.

Then demolition started!

The following gallery of photos show how the process proceeded. The bright yellow door was the entrance to the library. The huge yellow tractor seemed like a gigantic dinosaur was eating the library!

************

What do you think of the demolition?

Were you sad to see the library go?

Have you ever seen your school torn down?

Please leave us a comment and let us know!

9 thoughts on “Dino Destroys Library!

1. Dear Bulldogs,

I can’t believe how long it takes to build something like that but how little time it takes to tear it down!

I’m sure it’s sad to see it go because you spent so much time there but it’s always exciting to get something brand new!

I can’t wait to see the new library!

Sincerely,
    Mr. Avery

2. Dear Mrs Hembree and Bulldog readers,

Wow your school is really getting a make over.
    It is hard to image what your school will be like but I am pretty sure in time you will love it.

It is always hard to let go of something that you have know for so long. I do remember when I went to re visit my old primary school many years ago and noticed not only did they pull it down they build a new estate of home on it.
    I would have much rather seen a new primary school been build but it didn’t happen. 🙁

Like Mr Avery I cannot wait to see the end result of your new library and school. 🙂

From your pal down under,
    AA.

• Dear AA,

When your new school is finished, I know it will be beautiful and I will love it. It will just take a bit of time to get to that point.

In the meantime, we are steadily making progress toward making our temporary library a place kids will want to be in again.
      Right now, it’s a work in progress. All but a few boxes are gone, however, I have piles of things everywhere cluttering spaces!
      When I have it decorated the way I want it, I will write a post about it with photos!

It must have been sad to see a home sitting on the place where you once went to school. It would be hard for me to feel good about. This summer I went to my hometown and took a photo of my elementary school! It’s the same school that my mother, uncle and my cousins went to. I even had some of the same teachers as my mother had when she was there. It was comforting to see the school looking the way I remembered it!

From,
      Mrs. Hembree

3. @ Mrs Hembree,

Yes it was so sad to see the new home estate on my old primary school block. I have such wonderful memories of my primary school days which I loved.

I, really do understand how you are feeling but in saying that I think it is so wonderful that when you went back home your old school was still standing. What is even more lovely is that your mum,uncle and cousins went to the same school now thats is just awesome.

You are so right in saying that is comforting seeing your school the way you remember.
    I do feel once you get into your new library/school you will be jumping with joy. 🙂

From your friend,
    AA.

4. Dear Mrs Hembree.
    Awesome post but sad as well.

I sure was sad to see your library go.

I think everyone will miss the school library becasue I know I would.

At our school they are building a new prep class room’s, I want to be a prep again so that I can go into the new classrooms.

I thought the demolition was very mess.

I think you will enjoy discovering your new school/library once it is built.

Your old library looked huge was it huge Mrs Hembre?

From your pal,
    Bianca.

5. Dear Mrs.Hemmbree, I really feel sad because of the destruction at our school.I miss the old school. It was a fun day.Thank you for the hat that you give me it was cool and nice people comment on the hat. I wonder where did you get it. I wonder if you are have the contest.You fan Alex.

6. Dear Mrs. Hembree
    Our school in Melbourne, Australia knows far too much about construction. We’ve been unfortunate enough to experience three fires in our school. A good thing to come out of the fires is a brand new building. It took a lot of time for the new buildings to be built. We are looking forward to seeing your new building.
    From Miss Goodey and 3/4G

7. Dear Mrs.Hembree , Did you miss our old schools? I miss the old school. Is the library open. If it did you are telling everyone.Is there any contest ? You student Alex.

8. Dear Mrs Hembree and Bulldog readers,

Oh my, a DINOSAUR that eats libraries!!! Our school underwent a huge reconstruction in 2000, but we never got to have a dinosaur. The old staff room ended up becoming MY classroom! Isn’t that funny.

I’m sure you will enjoy your beautiful new school. I hope your library still will have room for that comfy couch. We look forward to seeing the “after” photos!

🙂
    Mrs. Boekhout
    http://classroom2kids.edublogs.org/