My Australian Bindi Story

Every book has a story. No…not the one between the covers. The story that got you to the book in the first place. Was it a recommendation from a friend? Did you see it on the shelf? Did a librarian hand it to you?

The copyright in the image is owned and retained by Australia Zoo. Used with written consent of Australia Zoo.

Image provided by and used with written consent of Australia Zoo.

My book story began with the Oprah show in January. She brought a plane load of Oprah Fans with her to Australia for an all expense paid trip.  I am an Oprah fan too!   However, since my invitation to join her in Australia got lost in the mail somehow, I had to watch the shows on television!

On the last day, she filmed from the Sidney Opera House and interviewed Terri, Bindi and Robert Irwin. They have carried on Steve Irwin’s legacy at the Australia Zoo- Home of the Crocodile Hunter.

Bindi was talking about her new book series: Bindi Wildlife Adventures.  Set in the Australia Zoo, Bindi carries on her father’s love for reptiles and other animals in an adventure book format.

It’s a win-win situation for everyone.  Kids can read a fun and exciting book, and hopefully lose some of their fear of all things reptile. The Irwins share their knowledge of wildlife conservation with the world. And the Australia Zoo benefits by receiving a portion of the proceeds for each book sold!

Trouble at the Zoo_Book 1

That’s all it took for me to head for the store and buy a copy for our library.

Bindi’s books offer a different kind of adventure story to the chapter book genre.  Any book that starts with a girl having a pet Burmese python wake her up, and smiling at the thought ,brings a whole new concept to the idea of an alarm clock! 

Each story is set at the Australia Zoo and features Bindi, Robert, and their mother Terri.

In book 1, Bindi’s birthday party at the zoo is almost spoiled when a 10 year old visitor tries to steal one of the zoo’s water dragons.  Can Robert and a very special green macaw save the day and Bindi’s birthday party?  You will have to read the book to find out!

Animal Fact Files with important facts about the featured animals are included in each book. Including some non-fiction facts with the fictional story is a great way to get kids started in some research of their own. Bindi’s books are appropriate for ages 7+.  Check them out!  They are a fun addition to any children’s library!

Coming soon….

Game Over_Book 2

Bushfire_Book 3

What adventure stories do you like?

Which Bindi Wildlife Adventures have you read?

Do you have a story about how you found a book?

Leave us a comment and let us know!

10 thoughts on “My Australian Bindi Story

1. Dear Mrs Hembree,

How, wonderful that you have a set of Bindi’s books.

I just have just given Bianca the whole set of Bindi’s books for her to read.

I am so glad now you have a set for your library. You have even got me going that maybe I should start to read about her adverntures. As I really like the sound of Trouble at the Zoo.

Will read this book and will get back to you and let you know what I think of it.

Happy reading everyone!
    From your blogging buddy,
    AA.

• Dear AA,
      I was reading Bindi’s bk #2 this morning at breakfast and noticed something interesting. The book is called Game Over in Australia and the photo that was given to me by the Australia Zoo shows that cover. However, here in America, the title is Rescue. I always intrigues me when publishers change book titles. Book 1 & 2 are the only ones available here so far. I hope BB enjoys them. I hope she will leave us a comment and let us know what she thinks! My ultimate dream comment would be for Bindi to leave us a comment!
      Happy Reading!
      Mrs. Hembree

2. Pingback: Interesting Blog | Grade 2MK Leopold

3. How exciting to hear from you Mrs Hembree!

I was very interested to hear that you have an American Girls similar to our Australian Gril series. I did a search on Google and I can see what you mean about the front covers.

It’s great that you have a little bit of Australia in your library with Bindi’s books! Bindi is an amazing girl and works so hard with Robert and Terri to keep her dad Steve’s dreams alive.

What a shame you weren’t one of the lucky Oprah fans to visit Australia…maybe one day!

It would be wonderful for our libraries to become blogging buddies – we’ll have to work out how we can do this!

I’m very impressed with your library website and would love to add it to our blog roll.

Miss Y 🙂

• Dear Miss Y,
      I would love to become blogging buddies. I will add your library blog to our blog roll soon. We are having our spring vacation next week and I will add it then when I get some extra time!
      I was reading the 2nd Bindi book this morning at breakfast. I think this new series is going be popular with chapter book readers. There is nothing quite like it here and will be a welcome change.
      Happy Reading!
      Mrs. Hembree

4. Dear Mrs Hembree,

Awesome post.

I have got Bindi Irwin books.

They are called Surfing with the Turtles, Whale of a time, Bushfire, Roar and Croc Capers and Camouflage.

I have not read them yet.

Mum is reading Surfing with the turtles.

She said it is awesome so far.

I don’t really have a favourite adventure book but I have a favourite Fantasy book it is Tashi.

Tashi helps everyone who is in danger.

Do you have this book in your library.

If you want to know more about Tashi here is the link to his website

http://www.tashibooks.com/home.html.

Hope you enjoy browsing at this website.

From your pal,
    Bianca

• Dear BB,
      I don’t know Tashi, so I will definitely have to look at his website.
      I have read only 2 of the Bindi books, since that’s all that is available here so far. We discovered that the second book has a different title in Australia than here. You call it Game Over and the title here is Rescue!
      I have told my classes about them. They don’t really know Bindi so much, but when I mention her dad, they always say, “Oh, That Bindi!”
      Your Librarian Pal,
      Mrs. Hembree

5. Dear,bulldogs
    I would love to read the book of Bindi and the wildlife but we dont have the books here,but my aunt has the books of hers that see had been in
    and i read the book by her called Bindi wildlife adventurs number 2.

From your Techie Kid
    buddies

6. Dear Mrs Hembree,

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner but have been enjoying the school holidays with Bianca.

Now I did read a Bindi book and it was book number 5 called A Whale of a time. This is a really lovely book to read as its about Bindi taking her two twin English friends whale watching. While whale watching one of the twins notices a flare which they thought was a boating accident but it was an oil spill. This oil spill may jeopardise the marine life. Now its up to Bindi and her English friends to help out. Won’t tell you anymore as I might spoil the ending for you.
    Hope you get the chance to read this book because I feel you and your students would enjoy the out come.

So Keep reading.
    From your blogging pal down under,
    AA.

• Dear AA,
      Thank you for letting me know about the new Bindi book! I think it will probably take a few months before we get the same book here in the US.
      I hope you continue to enjoy your school holidays with your family! It sounds like BB had a wonderful birthday!
      Your WA Pal,
      Mrs. Hembree