September Library Curriculum

September is just about wrapped up and we are off and running in the library! Here’s what we have been doing in class.

Kindergarten – We learned how to enter calm and safe, find and sit in our assigned seats, listen quietly to stories and leave calm and safe. I try to coordinate the books I read to the Letter of the Week in class to reinforce their learning. We also learned a special kindergarten song that we sing at the beginning of each class. “If You want to hear a story, clap your hands!” Ask your child, hopefully they can sing it for you. Books read: Alligator Shoes, Alligators All Around,A Place Called Kindergarten,Honey, Honey Lion, and Koala Lou.

First Grade – We reviewed the enter and exit rules. We talked a lot about book care and I showed them examples of books that have been damaged in the past. The students learned the importance of taking care of books and how they will have to pay or replace a lost or damaged book. I introduced the Backpack Buddies. These are backpacks that have a book, a matching puppet and journal for the children to write and draw in. They are very popular! Only 2 children per week can check out a Backpack Buddy.

Second Grade-  We reviewed the enter and exit rules. We talked a lot about book care and I showed them examples of books that have been damaged in the past. The students learned the importance of taking care of books and how they will have to pay or replace a lost or damaged book. I introduced the Backpack Buddies. These are backpacks that have a book, a matching puppet and journal for the children to write and draw in. They are very popular! Only 2 children per week can check out a Backpack Buddy.

Third Grade- Students in 3rd grade come to the library for 1 hour now every other week. Their books can be taken out for 2 weeks. We did a get to know you activity, learned about check out rules and watched a powerpiont presentation on the rules and grading system in library class. All students took a quiz on the rules. We also looked at the Bulldog Reader’s blog.

Fourth-6th grade- We did a get to know you activity, learned about check out rules and watched a powerpiont presentation on the rules and grading system in library class. All students took a quiz on the rules. We  looked at the Bulldog Reader’s blog. The students also found out about the Battle of the Books optional reading program and what books are in the program this year.

I have emphasized to all classes the importance of learning how to look for and check out books. It’s  an important skill to return materials on time.  I have told the students that their grade is an effort grade and is completely in their control. They earn their grade by simply trying their best, using their time well, and checking out books each time they come to class.

Happy Reading!  Mrs. Hembree